Vienna, 16 May 2007
MEETING ROOM C0713
Vienna International Centre
Wagrammer str. 5
1220 Vienna, Austria
The overall objective of this meeting is to enable the DRP to provide an agreed statement on nutrient status of the Danube and NW Black Sea in its final report to UNDP/GEF. However it is recognised that this meeting will be also serve as a opportunity for the ICPDR to clarify the basin-wide needs for scenario development and management tools.
The past few years have seen a number of projects completed addressing nutrients and their management and the conclusion of the DRP is considered to be an appropriate time to bring the key experts with experience of point and diffuse sources of nutrients, and modelling together.
The specific issues that will be addressed are:
- To establish current 'best understanding' of nutrient levels in the Danube River Basin and loads to the NW Black Sea enabling an agreed baseline to be agreed;
- The development of basin-wide nutrient management options;
- To clarify the modelling needs (data, scenarios, software, etc.) to respond to the requirements of the ICPDR for river basin management;
- To explore the potential for innovative cost-effective measures for nutrient management on a collective basin-wide approach.
The meeting will begin with a few short presentations summarising the current level of knowledge, gaps in this information and suggested means to address these gaps from selected perspectives. The intention is not to have a programme of lectures but a very active debate on key topics that will help in addressing the issues identified above.
09:30 - 16:00
- Welcome DRP / Introductions All
- Purpose and Objectives (DRP /ICPDR)
- Nutrient levels Danube & Black Sea (Matthias Zessner / Bill Parr / Henning Fogged)
- Nutrient Management Options (Birgit Vogel / Helmut Fleckseder)
- Modelling Needs in Danube River Basin (Horst Behrendt / Mihaela Popovici)
- Discussions All!
- Future issues for Nutrient Management (ICPDR / Stefan Speck)
- Discussions All!
- Next Steps (ICPDR)